Joining the NSRMTA is simple!
The entire process should take no more than 2 weeks.
- Fill out and send in a completed application form and your supporting documents
- Our registrar will contact you within 5 business days
- Provide any additional materials that are requested
- Receive a response from the NSRMTA Council within 5 business days of submitting your information
IMPORTANT Note for International Applicants
Please note that all supporting documentation and credentials must be provided in English and/or French. It is the applicant’s responsibility to translate any materials prior to submission. The applicant is responsible for all costs associated with translation, securing documentation, and sending materials to the NSRMTA.
Benefits to being a Registered Music Teacher include:
- Professional recognition of your education & training
- Access to scholarships, competitions, recitals, and programs for your students
- Access to professional development and conventions for yourself
- The opportunity to be involved in a supportive community
- Detailed membership listing on the NSRMTA website
- Membership with the Canadian Federation of Music Teachers’ Associations
- Simplified membership application with the International Society for Music Education
- Knowing that you are contributing to the positive growth of music education in Canada
IMPORTANT Note Regarding References:
If you do not currently have two references from Canadian RMTs, please contact us to discuss alternatives. We are always happy to accommodate individual situations and circumstances!
Active Membership is open to anyone who:
- is over eighteen years of age; and has been teaching in a professional capacity under conditions satisfactory to the Council for at least two years and has passed such tests and examinations as may be required by the Council, and;
- passes recognition of certification (music degrees or diplomas equivalent to thatof a teaching/performing associateship or licentiateship from any School of Music, Conservatory, or University recognized by the Council); or
- is a member in good standing of a Registered Music Teachers’ Association of aProvince, other than Nova Scotia, who presents a Transfer of Membership Form; or
- has an established reputation in the field of performance and/or teaching andwhose application is approved by the Council.
Active Members shall be entitled to use the designation “Registered Music Teacher” or the abbreviation “R.M.T.”.
Affiliate Membership is open to anyone who:
- is over eighteen years of age; and
- satisfies the Council that he/she is receiving training in music to fulfill therequirements for Active Membership and is teaching or intending to teach music;
- if applying for Affiliate Membership Level 1, the applicant satisfies the Councilthat he/she has achieved Grade X level, or its equivalent from any School of Music, Conservatory, or University recognized by the Council; or
- if applying for Affiliate Membership Level 2, the applicant satisfies the Councilthat he/she has achieved Grade IX level, or its equivalent, from any School of Music, Conservatory, or University recognized by the Council; or
- if applying for Affiliate Membership Level 3, the applicant satisfied the councilthat he/she has achieved Grade VIII level, or its equivalent from any School of Music, conservatory or university recognized by the Council.
Affiliate Members shall not be entitled to use the designation “Registered Music Teacher” or the abbreviation “R.M.T.”.
Affiliate Members shall not vote or be eligible to hold office nor shall Affiliate Membership status be transferable to other provinces.
Auxiliary Members are persons who are not music teachers but are music publishers, owners or managers of music stores, music librarians, piano technicians, or representatives of music festivals.
Auxiliary Members shall not be entitled to use the designation “Registered Music Teacher” or the abbreviation “R.M.T.”. Auxiliary Members shall pay dues and be registered with the CFMTA; but they shall not vote or be eligible to hold office, nor shall Auxiliary Member status be transferable to other provinces.
International Membership is open to individuals living outside Canada and nationals of other countries.
International members will not have the right to vote, hold office, or enter students in NSRMTA competitions. They will be members of CFMTA.
The membership is from September 1st to August 31st.
Join the NSRMTA!
Are you a CFMTA Member in another province or territory?
Email our Registrar, Laura Marriott
to set up a transfer!